Monday 7 March 2016

DIY : MAKE YOUR OWN REUSABLE DRAWSTRING PRODUCE BAGS



I made these little draw string bags to aid me on my zero waste en devours whilst shopping, for anything from loose nuts, veg, fruit to coffee, tea and even soap!

Whatever loose goods that usually require a plastic bag at the supermarkets you can pop in one of these reusable, earth friendly bags instead!


I used scrap, salvaged material and found bits of string, I even used odd shoe laces!





I am a fabric hoarder - I attempted to reduce the quantity- still a hoarder. Even so, I didn't have white cotton, so I asked my lovely neighbour if she had any bits and pieces, and the same day she filled my arms with the goods.






I chose a light, white cotton and a net/mesh material, as they both have varied levels of transparency - easier for everyone to tell what's inside when paying.

I made big ones, small ones and even smaller ones. 
Think about what you will use them for - potatoes will need a bigger bag, nuts can fit snug in a small one, even so, a bag is a bag and whether you use a large one for some lentils and a small one for a few potatoes, it doesn't really make a difference.

I cut different sizes, for some I cut a long piece and doubled it over or cut out two seperate sides, depending on the amount and size of the scrap material. 

I found this pretty easy, got the hang of it quickly and whizzed through them all in no time. I'm no professional sewer and if you're looking for a professional finish, it's probably best to look else where, but if you want a quick, no fuss result, read on! 

So.. keeping it simple, here's what I did -





First of all, you'll need:


Sewing machine

Fabric of your choice

Thread

String - if you're looking for loose bits and bobs or shoelaces, make sure it's long enough

Scissors

Pins





 - Cut out two sides / or fold the fabric over and then cut out your desired size - if you want to measure a specific size and mark it out, do so - I went by eye.

- I chose to do a zigzag stitch- I feel like it makes it a bit stronger - especially for the netting.

-You will have both sides of fabric, lets say front and back even though it doesn't apply, do a seam (about 1 cm) along the edges of the fabric before sewing front and back together - this will stop fraying. (I skipped this step so the photos won't show a seam).

- Place front and back on top of each other, and sew along the sides (and the bottom if needed), remembering to leave enough space on one side for the string, about 3/4 cm from the top. As shown below..






- Get your string, lay it across the bag and make sure it's long enough with extra length.






- Lay the string (in a single strand) along the top across the back and front, make sure the ends of the string will come out on the side where the edge isn't sewn to the top.

- Fold the top of the fabric over the string, tack it in place with pins and sew - not too close to the string - you want it to easily pull through. Be careful not to sew front and back together while doing this step.

- Once the string is tucked in nicely - turn the bag inside out and -  Ta Da - You have yourself a drawstring bag for all your goodies!







I like to tie the string together in a knot so it won't pull through and come out.


You may want to double up your fabric for extra strength and durability - maybe I would do that if I was to make the net bags again.

This tutorial is very basic and quick to make - I wasn't worried about perfectly straight lines and perfect right angles, I made them super quickly for my own personal use. If I made them for someone else, I would definitely get my inner neat freak working away! I just wanted to share how easy and simple it is to do and you can use up bits and pieces you already have instead of buying new materials.
 I've been using them for about 2 weeks and they do their job pretty well!

If you don't want to make them but think it's a good idea - you don't have to!
You can find drawstring bags in lots of places, although I think it's a bit harder to find smaller ones. Have a Google.

It's way better to use reusable bags rather than grab plastic every time you shop. It's such a waste and they just end up on land fill, in the oceans or stuck it trees!



HOW TO MAKE REUSABLE DRAWSTRING PRODUCE BAGS




Let me know if you have another way of making these or if you followed my how-to. I'd love to know, and see what reusables you've made.  



Thanks for reading,

Juliette





1 comment: